Sunday, November 29, 2015

12 - "All the great speakers were bad speakers at first" - Ralph Emerson

According to research, public speaking is one of the top 5 common fears. It is really scary to speak in front of many people. It feels like that they are waiting for you to say something wrong and laugh at your mistakes. The feeling that someone is looking at you is already uncomfortable what more if a lot of people are looking at you.


An inter highschool competition was held at APC auditorium yesterday, 27 November 2015. It was amazing for me watching those highschool students. I wonder where do they get such courage to speak in front of many people. They don't even have a script nor guide to depend on. In such a young age they already have a lot of confidence which I don't have when I was that young. I always talk but not in front of a lot of people. Maybe because since I was young, English is my most hated subject. But people do need to adapt and so I did.

The winner is really good actually. She almost cried because of what she shared with us. Most of them used their own experiences but they didn't met what the theme is all about.

Confidence is really important in public speaking. Yes you have a good content and can think fast about things but if you don't have the confidence to relay your ideas to the audience through public speaking then it is useless. No one is already great at their first time, being great requires a lot of practice. I am not wishing to be a great speaker but I would like to become a good one someday.  Practice is also one of the key to be a great speaker. As my professor always say, 99% preparation and 1% execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment